If you’re looking for an effective piece of home fitness equipment, you’d be hard-pressed to find a better option than a rowing machine. A rowing work out can strengthen muscles, burn fat, and provide a low-impact full-body workout.
Connected rowers, which provide access to live and on-demand workouts, are especially popular, and for good reason. These workouts can help you recreate the gym experience in the comforts of your own home.
Two of the best options available are the Hydrow and NordicTrack RW…
But which of these machines is the best choice for you? We’re here to help you decide:
If you’re trying to decide between these two rowing machines, you’ll want to look at the features that they include. Not all fitness equipment is equal, which is why you should consider what each rowing machine has to offer.
- 22″ HD touchscreen
- Front-facing speakers
- Bluetooth capabilities
- Ultra-quiet electromagnetic resistance system
- Can be folded upright for vertical storage
- Made from commercial-grade aluminum and steel
- Live outdoor reality workouts
- Hundreds of live and on-demand workouts
- Digital adjustable resistance
- Can support users up to 375 pounds
NordicTrack RW Features:
- 22″ adjustable touchscreen
- Dual speakers
- HDMI port
- Built-in screensaver
- Compatible with Bluetooth heart monitors
- 25 digital and 10 manual resistance levels
- Massive library of outdoor, studio, and map-based workouts
- Trainer and music volume can be adjusted separately
- Can be folded upright for vertical storage
- Can support users up to 250 pounds
Hydrow offers some features that the NordicTrack RW lacks. For example, the NordicTrack RW does not support Bluetooth headphones, and it supports less weight than the Hydrow does.
However, both are durable, well-designed pieces of fitness equipment that offer an impressive selection of features.
Connected Workout Comparison
One of the most appealing features of these rowing machines is the connectivity that they offer. Having access to workouts can help you to stay motivated, allowing you to achieve your fitness goals.
Hydrow offers three different types of workouts. These workouts are:
- Trainer-led workouts: These workouts are led by the Hydrow Athletes crew, which is a roster of elite rowers. These athletes create workouts on the water that Hydrow users can follow along with at home. New live workouts are added to the library every week. After a workout is completed, it is added to the library of on-demand workouts.
- Journeys: These workouts are not led by an instructor and are designed to let people exercise at their own pace. They often provide beautiful scenery, which makes them a relaxing way to workout. They’re a great choice for beginners that are adjusting to the Hydrow and are also a terrific option for people that want to unwind. They are a part of Hydrow’s on-demand library.
- Mat workouts: While the majority of Hydrow’s workouts are rowing exercises, Hydrow also offers a range of workouts that can be done on a mat! These workouts, which include stretching and conditioning workouts, are led by expert instructors. They are an excellent way to warm up before an intense trainer-led workout.
NordicTrack RW gives users access to more than 1,600 workouts. The classes are lead by expert trainers from around the world. What separates NordicTrack classes from other connected workouts is that it offers live interactive training. The resistance levels of your rower can be digitally adjusted by your instructor.
NordicTrack RW offers a diverse selection of workouts, including:
- Full body workouts
- Around-the-world workouts
- Boot camp
New workouts are added to the library daily. NordicTrack offers an ever-expanding library of workouts suitable for people of all fitness levels. NordicTrack also offers stat tracking tech that makes it easier for users to see how effective their workouts are.
The Hydrow rower is priced at $2,199. In order to access the library of live and on-demand fitness classes, users will need to pay an additional $38 monthly subscription fee. Users can create unlimited fitness profiles, which means that every member of a household can share a Hydrow subscription.
Hydrow offers a risk-free 30-day trial, which means users can get a refund if they decide this rowing machine isn’t right for them. Hydrow offers financing through Klarna with payments as low as $62 a month.
The NordicTrack RW900, which is the model most similar to the Hydrow rower, has a price tag of $1,699. While NordicTrack does offer cheaper models, they have fewer features and are not comparable to the Hydrow.
In order to access the live and on-demand workouts, users will need an iFit subscription. The cost of a subscription is $39 a month. Alternatively, you can pay an annual fee of $396. While NordicTrack has offered a free year of iFit with a NordicTrack RW is the past, it is important to confirm that this offer is still active before making a purchase.
Summary: The Best Rowing Option is?
Our Top Pick? Hydrow…
Although the Hydrow is a more expensive option than the NordicTrack RW, it’s also the machine that provides a better experience overall. Designed by engineers, rowers, and exercise scientists, this is a premium piece of fitness equipment.
Even though the Hydrow is designed for living room workouts, the Live Outdoor Reality technology it utilizes can make you feel as though you’re right on the water. Because the Hydrow has a sleek and solid design, it can blend in beautifully in any living room. When it’s not in use, it can easily be folded up and stored away.
While the NordicTrack RW offers is lacking in features when compared to the Hydrow, it’s still a solid choice if price is your primary consideration. It’s the cheaper option, especially if you’re able to get a free year of iFit when you make your purchase.
If you’re interested in the Hydrow, but prefer the price point of the NordicTrack RW, you may want to take advantage of the Hydrow’s risk-free 30-day trial. This will give you the chance to try the Hydrow for yourself to see if it’s worth the higher price point.