InfomotionSports.com is a reader supported site. Purchases made through links may earn a commission.
Rowing is considered to be a full-body workout that uses most of your muscles. In fact, unlike other exercise machines such as treadmills and ellipticals, using a rower helps you target muscles in your upper and lower body every time you engage in rowing exercises, according to the AFPA (American Fitness Professionals Association).
In addition to keeping your body fit, the low impact exercises also help work your mind and even trigger the release of endorphins; thus reducing stress!
NordicTrack, one of the most reputable names in the fitness machine industry offers three different rowers, the RW200, RW500 and RW900. It’s important to note that by choosing to buy a NordicTrack machine, you will be getting a reasonably priced rower that comes with a long list of features that can be found elsewhere.
Given the available variety, settling on one specific rower might be somewhat of a challenge. Fortunately, this article will be taking a closer look at each of the three NordicTrack rowers, highlighting their different features and prices.
This way, you will be able to see which option best suits your specific requirements.
If you are looking to differentiate between the RW200, RW500 and RW900, you have come to the right place. Read on below for an in-depth comparison of these awesome rowers from one of the best brands in the business.
Head-to-Head Features Comparison: RW200, RW500, RW600 and RW900
NordicTrack RW200 Features
As the first rowing workout machine from NordicTrack – it was also the only one available from the brand for a while – the latest RW200 has been redesigned with a few upgrades. It comes with the following main features:
- Foldable SpaceSaver Design
- Adjustable Silent Magnetic Resistance (SMR) technology is used on the latest R200 model, replacing the air resistance mechanism used in the previous one.
- 24 digital resistance levels
- Small adjustable console with a Watts backlit display showing watts, time and speed
- Aux music input port and 2 amplified speakers
- Bluetooth®1 Smart Enabled
- 250lb user weight limit
- Comfortable ergonomic molded seat mounted on an oversized rail
- Oversized pivoting pedals with adjustable nylon straps
- 20 inbuilt workout programs
- Warranties: 1 year parts and labor warranties and 5 year frame warranty
NordicTrack RW500 Features
In addition to all of the features found in the RW200, the RW500 also comes with:
Silent Magnetic Resistance (SMR) which can be automatically controlled by your trainer
- Manually Adjustable Air Resistance
- Adjustable Console with 5 inch backlit display and media shelf for holding the 10 inch Portal 10i Tablet included for free
- Interactive Training Personal Training via iFit – with free 1 year membership
- Increases resistance levels to 26
- 30 built-in workout programs
- Quick Release Pedals
- Warranties: 1 year labor; 2 year parts and 10 year frame warranty cover
NordicTrack RW600 Features
The RW600 is one of the latest releases from NordicTrack, and features their most up-to-date technology. It’s a great choice for those looking for the perfect iFit streaming experience.
Here’s what it brings to the table:
- 10 Inch Smart HD Touchscreen
- 26 resistance levels
- Real-time resistance controls
- Fully iFit ready
- Limitless training variety
- 1 year free iFit membership
- Two forms of resistance
- Quick-adjust pedals
- Space saving design – folds for easy storage
- Bluetooth audio
- Latest and best NordicTrack features and technology
NordicTrack RW900 Features
In addition to some of the features found in the RW500, the RW900 also comes with:
- 2 types of resistance: Silent Magnetic Resistance and Adjustable Air Resistance
- Free iFit membership for 1 year
- Rotating and tilting 22 inch Smart HD Touchscreen Display replaces the console and dated tablet found on the previously described models.
- Bluetooth Headphone connectivity
From the above it is plain to see that the R900 rower machine outshines its counterparts with its long list of advanced features. If you are looking for a rower that will transform your entire rowing experience, then the R900, with its advanced features is definitely the best option; however, this also means that it is also the priciest of the three.
Connected Workout Options: Which NordicTrack Rower Is iFit Ready?
All NordicTrack rowing workout machines are iFit ready. In fact, NordicTrack offer free 1 year iFit membership with the purchase of any of their rowers.
However, if you are looking for the best possible iFit experience, the RW500, RW600 and RW900 – with their built in screens – are your best options. Even though the RW200 is iFit ready, you will need to use your own display set up i.e. tablet and tablet holder.
The iFit app uses your home’s WiFi to connect to the online iFit community and give you access to the most interactive training sessions.
While you do not have to use iFit whenever you use your NordicTrack rowing machine – as each machine comes with numerous preprogrammed workout programs – iFit makes it possible for you to get the most out of each workout by giving you access to a variety of features, including:
- Fitness Tracking: With the iFit app you get to view and track your performance stats over time, and share the same with other members of the ever growing community. With this feature you can set goals and track your progress and even compete with other community members to boost your motivation.
- Workout Classes: iFit also helps users create the most effective workouts by giving you access to a community of the best trainers in a variety of fields. You can use the app to stream a huge variety of live, and pre-programmed trainer-led workouts and even send text messages to trainers in real time. The trainers can even adjust the resistance of your machine via this interactive training solution.
- Row all over the World: iFit also gives you access to both indoor and outdoor workouts. Through the outdoor workouts, you have the freedom of exploring your favorite rowing destinations from the comfort of your home!
When it comes to iFit readiness, the R900 wins with its huge 22 inch rotating touchscreen display – which turns each workout into an exciting and inspiring experience; while the R500 comes second with its smaller 10 inch tablet display.
RELATED: What’s the Best Connected Rowing Machine?
Price Comparison: Is RW200, RW500, RW600 or RW900 Cheaper?
As of the writing of this comparison guide, the RW200 was the cheapest of all three machines given its $799 price tag. Alternatively, qualifying buyers can choose to make 12 or 36 equal monthly installments; the latter includes a year’s iFit Family subscription while the latter includes a 3 year subscription.
The more advanced RW500 was priced at $999. Similarly, qualifying buyers have the option of choosing a 12 or 36 month payment plan.
The all-new RW600 came in at $1,299 at last check.
Last but not least, the feature-rich RW900 was the most expensive at $1,699. Alternatively, qualifying buyers can opt for a 39 month payment plan.
All prices were obtained from the NordicTrack website; and include an iFit Family membership subscription.
NordicTrack is definitely one of the biggest names when it comes to rowing workout machines. They offer 3 different models, the R200, R500 and R900, each equipped with different features and offered at different price points.
If you want machine that gives you a basic workout while still being highly affordable, then the R200 is exactly what you need.
However, for those looking for an interactive workout every time, the RW500, RW600 and RW900 models are a better fit. The RW500, RW600 and RW900 all come with a built-in screen for streaming your iFit workouts.. However, the RW500 uses a smaller, and somewhat dated, 10 inch Portal 10i Tablet as a display. Fortunately, you can use your own smartphone or tablet on the RW500’s media shelf for a better experience. That said, we’d opt for the RW600 or RW900 if you want the most up-to-date streaming experience and HD touchscreen capabilities.
The RW900 – their most expensive rower – is their best rower, hands down. It is designed to transform each workout into a one of a kind experience, thanks to the large 22 inch touchscreen display. Even with the higher price tag, with the RW900, you get maximum value for every cent as you don’t need to add any extra hardware to the rower to enjoy an interactive and exciting workout each time!
All in all, it’s clear to see that each NordicTrack rower is designed to match the needs of different users; and with the above information in mind, identifying your most suitable option will be much easier.